Today I wanted to write something different than my usual posts. I will be going abroad next weekend and I have a very important question to answer. I have been thinking about it for the past few weeks (actually since I booked my flight tickets) and now, it is about time that I come to a decision because time flies by and week passes in the blink of an eye. This post is mainly for short trips where you stay in one city for a few days not one that you travel around different places as that requires more thought. The question which troubles me is the following:
Should I plan the whole trip or should I just go there and wing it?
As a background to my dilemma, I will be going to Vienna with my mother next weekend for three days and I want to see as much of Vienna as I possibly could. However I am not a big fan of rigid travel plans as I believe that having a fixed schedule will limit what you might want to do. Below I am going to list the pros and cons of both scenarios.
Pros and Cons of Planning a Trip
My father has suggested that I make a plan of where to go and which places of interest we should visit. These are the points, in favor or against, that I am thinking of:
- I know exactly how much time I can spend in a particular place
- I don’t have to think about what to do next when I am there
- I can buy any tickets I will need beforehand and will most probably get them cheaper
- I will not miss out on the most important places of the place I am visiting
- I am limited by time in order to keep by the schedule
- There is a constant nagging at the back of my mind that I am not going to be on time for the next attraction
- I might miss out on places that you happen to find entirely by accident
Pros and Cons of not Planning a Trip
I am quite a spontaneous person and I like going somewhere new and just explore it as I see fit at that moment in time. This is what I’m thinking if I go there and wing it:
- I am not tied down by time and can spend as much time as I want in a particular place
- I can do what I feel like in that moment without thinking that I am missing something else
- I might find something out of the ordinary to visit or see
- I might miss out on important places
- If I need tickets I might have to wait in line and will probably cost more
In the end one should do what they feel is right and which philosophy will make their holiday more enjoyable and relaxing. Here I just wanted to show you my thought process so that if you have the same question as I do, I can maybe offer some new ideas that you might have not thought of. I would really like to know what you think about this topic as I think that we can all learn from each other. So which side of the argument are you on? Do you plan the trip to the last minute or do you go there and visit places that you stumble upon? Tell me what you think in the comments section.
Until next time, stay safe my friends.